Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bookplates

I don't think I'll ever make a bookplate for myself, mostly because I cringe at the thought of pasting anything into my books. But I love the art form and have no qualms about making them for other people.

Recently, I finished my first bit of bookplate art for a friend and fellow bibliophile from Delaware. He had found a copy of On The Frontier by Bret Harte which had once belonged to Howard Pyle. Being a rabid Pyle collector, I had to have it. So we arranged a trade: I would make him a bookplate and he would give me the book. As usual, I made this with ink on scratchboard.

2 comments:

debd94 said...

Hey Ian. Thanks for your recent postings. I so enjoy seeing your work.
Debbie D.

Richard Badalamente said...

Yeah! I like it. Love maps. Makes one want to explore. And that's the point, isn't it.